Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Proportional Calipers **

Sometimes I need to make my  own drawings of seashells.  Not easy if one does not have the artist's eye to measure exactly.  I tried to make my own proportional calipers and developed several versions.  Then I googled for them - and one can buy them, made in metal or other material.
Here is the simplest one:-
You can loosen and tighten the wing nut and bolt.
You can enlarge the sketch as shown.  Click on images to see them more clearly.
.........................................................................
Here is the best most accurate one I made.  This is cardboard template first,  then one can make it with wooden ruler or whatever length timber you wish.  The cardboard is too wobbly to use.



Diagram describes proportionality.
.........................................
Longcalipers.eg.

This model is not accurate at large sizes.  The pincer tips make the error.
I think it is better to make a caliper dedicated to one proportion only, eg  x8.  This is the one used by sculptors who make enlarged final sculptures  x8 times the size of the original maquette.  
I got the idea when I saw Tom Bass' retrospective Exhibition at the Sydney Opera House, some years ago.  His instrument was  expertly and elegantly made in wood and brass. 

..............................
Here is my attempt to model the tip of a seashell:-
The calipers shown were fairly but not really accurate.  
The tip of one pincer broke off and I had to try to glue a bit on to fix it.



Measure the width of the whorls, north, south, east and west.  It made a flat diagram. 
 To make it a cone,  find the height and put a similar cone underneath, and slit the sides all around to make the cone.  Stickytape it together. Next I have to figure it out lengthwise so that I can plan how many crochet or knit stitches are needed to make a more accurate tip to my seashell models.
................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment