Thursday, June 24, 2010

Heterodontus Does Crochet **

In a future post I will publish the graphs I have made of the Fibonacci Series, with the y axis being an imaginary hypothetical hyperbola of units 10 to the powers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, .....15.


The x axis is F1, F2, F3, ..... F(n).



What does the y axis look like?






It looks like a hyperbola when you begin to crochet it.





It configures into 5 spirals; this is one shape;

the blue and purple model.



there may be others.





This one is 10 stitches,

Next row has 10 stitches into each of the 10 stitches.

This makes 100 in row 2.

10 stitches into each of the 100 makes 1000 in row 3.





(I am working on 10 to the power 4 but it is in sewing machine cotton and very fine.

It would be too expensive to crochet the higher numbers with thicker yarn.)

..........................








This is what it looks like.






I was reminded of spirals again -





when you fold the work in half it makes 8 spirals








This reminds me of the eggcase of Heterodontus portus jacksoni, but the real thing has only 4 spirals. I guessed that 5 was the base number, so I crocheted 5 chains.

In each chain I crocheted 5 stitches, making 25.

In each of thes 25 I crocheted 5, making 125.

Then the last row, I crocheted 5 in each of the125, making 625.




Fold it in half and sew it up and pad it

and there are 4 spirals!



I'll have some web refs next time for folk to look at of pictures of the real eggs of the Port Jackson Shark.

Plus I guess I might have to take a trip to Jervis Bay to try to find some eggcases on the beach.

I need to check out how the baby shark gets out- via the opening, one similar to the snailshapes?

Ideas, anyone? Let me know at tmvanam@gmail.com Thanks muchly.



I remember when I was a kid at Burnside Homes, we went to the Murdoch Holiday Home at Huskisson. After some big storms there were huge dead sharks washed up on the rocks!



..........................................



Not only does this remind me of shark eggs, but what about DNA, the double helix!

The bit of string hanging off is the first stitch. um...centromere...? or is that too far fetched?



........................................



OK next post is 2, 4, 8, 16 etc. It describes populations and particularly

THE ANCESTORS. Here is a great conundrum and a big message!



.......................................

No comments:

Post a Comment