Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hyperbolic Crochet on Radio **

Back in August 2009 I managed to catch an interview on ABC Radio National's Artworks program, Amanda Smith chatting with Margaret Wertheim about the Exhibition at Sydney's Powerhouse Museum during Science Week . It was The Sydney Hyperbolic Crochet Reef. Hundreds of people contributed to this colorful show and you can see some of it at http://www.sydneyreef.blogspot.com/
Science meets handicrafts with a view to bring attention to the plight of coral reefs.
When doing craft, time stops.
The algorithm used was " crochet 3 stitches, increase 1 in next stitch. " It's not rigid, you can play with the numbers, to create the shapes of nature.

Then, believe it or not, I caught the moment on radio when Emma Ayres on ABC Classic Breakfast in April gave us the news that Reuters announced the winner of the 2009 Diagram Prize for the Oddest Title for a Book was "Crocheting Adventures with the Hyperbolic Plane" by Dr Daina Taimina. "Splendidly eccentric" said one newspaper, another said "superb juxtaposition...", "the two worlds collide in a captivating and completely breathless way".
You can view this elegant and erudite book on www.amazon.com/Crocheting-Adventures-Hyperbolic-Planes-Taimina/dp/1568814526
and you can see her words on http://www.hyperbolic-crochet.blogspot.com/

In fact, Dr Taimina has gracefully corresponded with me by email and she gave me a lovely site to follow http://www.hellejorgensen.typepad.com/

Hello Emma! I believe our ABC Radio has the most wonderful music and radio journalism - I listen whenever I can -- and people all over the world listen online www.abc.net.au/rn or www.abc.net.au/classic

I describe my own work as "simple and curious".
Cheers to youse all!

No comments:

Post a Comment